The Impact of Climate and Adaptative Forest Management on the Intra-Annual Growth of Pinus halepensis Based on Long-Term Dendrometer Recordings

Jorge Olivar, Andreas Rais, Hans Pretzsch, Felipe Bravo

Publikation: Beitrag in FachzeitschriftArtikelBegutachtung

5 Zitate (Scopus)

Abstract

Future climate predictions for the Mediterranean area include prolonged droughts and an increase in the frequency of extreme events. Silvicultural modification of stand density can buffer the response of tree growth to changes in climate by enhancing soil water availability. We analyzed the stem growth dynamics of Pinus halepensis, including the days of the year when 25%, 50% and 75% of the intra-annual basal growth was achieved, considering two different social statuses (suppressed and dominant) under four different thinning intensities (15%, 30% and 45% removal of the basal area) for 8 years, based on biweekly band dendrometer recordings. The moment the trees reached 25% of the intra-annual basal growth was significantly influenced by the amount of precipitation accumulated during the previous winter. On the other hand, the moment the trees reached 75% of the intra-annual basal growth was significantly influenced by water availability in a shorter term, which also affected the length of the growing period. Modification of competition through thinning showed a significantly positive impact on growth, causing a delayed attainment of 50% of the intra-annual basal growth. These results imply valuable information about forest dynamics that will support forest managers’ decisions dealing with low water-availability in forests.

OriginalspracheEnglisch
Aufsatznummer935
FachzeitschriftForests
Jahrgang13
Ausgabenummer6
DOIs
PublikationsstatusVeröffentlicht - Juni 2022

Fingerprint

Untersuchen Sie die Forschungsthemen von „The Impact of Climate and Adaptative Forest Management on the Intra-Annual Growth of Pinus halepensis Based on Long-Term Dendrometer Recordings“. Zusammen bilden sie einen einzigartigen Fingerprint.

Dieses zitieren